So I Went to Planned Parenthood Today
A few high points:
- When making the appointment, and on all their paperwork, they asked if it was safe to contact me via phone and mail. They asked how they should identify themselves on the phone when they called.
- Everyone there was very pleasant, warm, and welcoming. I was given tons of information, multiple chances to ask questions, and the chance for STI/STD testing and other applicable exams.
- I was treated with respect. I was treated like an adult. I was allowed to be in control of my person at all times. I was not down-talked, or snarked at, or made to feel any type of way other than safe.
- They listened to me. I told them what I’d used, what I’d been thinking about using, and rather than bulldozing over my considerations, they were more than happy to set me up with a new method
- I’m unemployed and uninsured. This was not an issue. I paid nothing at the end of my visit. I had a new contraceptive, three rounds of emergency contraceptive, and literally a month’s supply of condoms.
Basically I’m super happy that Planned Parenthood is a thing.
I’ve gone to free clinics, private practice obgyns, and clinic obgyns as well as Planned Parenthood and PP is definitely my favorite. It does vary a lot from place to place and the clinics in more hostile environments tend to be rushed, underpaid, understaffed, and have less equipment and are able to offer less services so sometimes there can be a negative experience but this is why I support planned parenthood so much because with more support they really are the best.